Review of ELENA-EIB projects in the cities of Barcelona, Bristol, Malmö, Paris and Brussels-Capital Region
By on 30 June 2015
Energy Cities published a review of the projects undertaken in the cities of Paris, Malmö (in association with Lund and Helsingborg), Barcelona, Bristol and Brussels-Capital that received support under the ELENA-EIB facility.
The aim of this study is to identify in which ways technical assistance programmes such as ELENA-EIB can help unlock investment in cities. The projects undertaken by Energy Cities’ members that we have reviewed cover a wide array of sectors, from public building refurbishment to public transport or renewable energy production.
This review presents five case studies - a result of detailed interviews with project managers responsible for ELENA-EIB implementation in local authorities.
Each case study is divided in seven sections:
- 1. Business model and financing mechanisms used to mobilise the investment
- 2. Organisation & Partnerships: focusing on the internal organisational structure of the team of experts implementing the investment programme and relevant external partners and organisations
- 3. Beneficiaries: assessing the impact of the investment programme on different stakeholders
- 4. Results: assessing tangible results as well as success factors or challenges that might have been encountered during the project implementation
- 5. Promotion: aiming at identifying the extent to which the local authorities communicate and promote these programmes
- 6. Relation with the EIB: this part aimed at assessing the level of collaboration between the EIB and the beneficiary cities
- 7. Takeaways for other cities: underlining the key recommendations for cities interested in undertaking
Read the study